Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
New Zion Temple Church - Worldwide Fellowship, Inc.
New Zion Temple Church Worldwide Fellowship, Inc. was founded as "The Little Church on Ruthven Street," a Church of God in Christ congregation. Bishop Hayward W. Falls fulfilled the community's needs by using donated supplies to erect a wood-framed storefront building in March 1933 at 1601 Ruthven, in the Historic Freedmen's Town District of the Fourth Ward. He bought the property in 1938 and sold it to church trustees for one dollar. When the storefront building was expanded and renovated in September 1941, the name was changed to "New Zion Temple Church Of God In Christ." The current edifice was erected and opened in May 1946.
The congregation remained under Church of God in Christ jurisdiction until May 1951, when Elder Falls heeded the call of God and established "New Zion Temple" as Non-Denominational. Elder Falls was an early disciple and later an overseer of the Latter Rain Movement, which interprets the bible in a symbolic and stylized manner. With the organization of the Worldwide Fellowship in 1952, New Zion Temple became headquarters and host for its national meetings and conventions. On May 26, 1983, its name officially
New Zion Temple has been committed to spreading the Word of God. With its assistance, other churches have been established in Texas, California, Louisiana, Ohio, Jamaica, the Bahamas, and England. Today, the congregation supports a food pantry and clothes closet, annual holiday donations, a prison ministry, and Juneteenth celebrations. Known for its generosity, the church has served as a nucleus for social, economic, educational, political, and cultural life.
175 Years of Texas Independence * 1836-2011
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17015.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1933.
Location. 29° 45.305′ N, 95° 22.989′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of Ruthven Street and Gillette Street, on the right when traveling east on Ruthven Street. The marker is located at the entrance to the Church at the corner. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1601 Ruthven Street, Houston TX 77019, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); J. Vance Lewis (about 600 feet away); St. James United Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); The Reverend Ned P. Pullum (about 700 feet away); Rutherford B.H. Yates, Sr., House (about 800 feet away); Twentieth Century Development of Freedman's Town (approx. 0.2 miles away); William C. Swearingen (approx. ¼ mile away); Henry Livingston Thompson (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 13, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 30 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 13, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.