Nacogdoches in Nacogdoches County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
University trustees erected a two-story red brick Greek Revival building on the square in 1858. During the Civil War it served as a Confederate Hospital, and following the war was the site of the U.S. Army's East Texas headquarters. Later tenants of the structure included a Masonic Lodge and a Louisiana college.
In 1889, in an effort to raise much-needed funds, University trustees sold the southern end of the square (between present Arnold and Edwards streets) for residential development. Christ Episcopal Church and the Old Stone Fort both stood on the square for a time.
The trustees transferred the campus to the Nacogdoches Independent School District in 1904. Its educational purposes have included public schools, the first site of Stephen F. Austin State University, and the present Thomas J.
Incise in base: Marker sponsors: Heritage Club of Nacogdoches
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12109.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1848.
Location. 31° 36.342′ N, 94° 39.137′ W. Marker is in Nacogdoches, Texas, in Nacogdoches County. Marker is at the intersection of Arnold Street and North Church Street, on the right when traveling west on Arnold Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Nacogdoches TX 75961, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Nacogdoches University Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Nacogdoches University (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Washington Square (about 500 feet away); Old Nacogdoches University (about 600 feet away); Ancient Mound (about 600 feet away); Diedrich Anton Wilhelm Rulfs (about 600 feet away); The Roland Jones House (about 700 feet away); First United Methodist Church of Nacogdoches (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nacogdoches.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 13, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 43 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 13, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.