Nacogdoches in Nacogdoches County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Home of Stephen F. Austin State Teachers College
Stephen F. Austin's students, most of them natives of East Texas, began their college careers in the "Old University Building," following in the footsteps of the Old Nacogdoches University pupils. For most of the first semester, the Stephen F. Austin students and faculty shared facilities with Nacogdoches High School. The buildings and area around Washington Square became the center of campus and social life as the college
The new college campus was complete in 1924. On April 30 of that year, students and townspeople met in the high school auditorium for a final program. Every 1924 graduate of Nacogdoches High School went on to college, a number virtually unknown in East Texas. What had begun as a difficult birth for the new college resulted in the establishment of a lasting tradition of cooperation and mutual achievement between the city of Nacogdoches and the Stephen F. Austin State Teachers College.
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9401.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1923.
Location. 31° 36.411′ N, 94° 39.084′ W. Marker is in Nacogdoches, Texas, in Nacogdoches County. Marker can be reached from North Mound Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 515 North Mound Street, Nacogdoches TX 75961, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Nacogdoches University (a few steps from this marker); Old Nacogdoches University (a few steps from this marker); Old Nacogdoches University Building (a few steps from this marker); Ancient Mound (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Washington Square (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of the home of Charles S. Taylor (approx. 0.2 miles away); Diedrich Anton Wilhelm Rulfs (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Roland Jones House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nacogdoches.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 13, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 13, 2021, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.