Edmonson in Hale County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Running Water Community
(2 miles south)
Attracted by abundant water from Running Water Draw, J. W. and T. W. Morrison established a ranch in 1881 with headquarters about ten miles west of here. Most of the early settlers in this region worked for the ranch. Later, several partners joined the operation, including wealthy cattleman C. C. Slaughter.
In 1884 Dennis and Martha S. Rice purchased several sections of land along the draw south of this site. Rice hoped to start a town and lure the railroad across his land. He began Wadsworth Post Office in his dugout in 1890. It was renamed Running Water in 1891. Rice organized the Running Water Townsite and Investment Company and staged a picnic and barbecue, July 4, 1892, for the purpose of selling town lots.
Soon the community had a blacksmith shop, grist mill, a two-story store building, several residences and churches. The early one-room schoolhouse was later replaced by a brick structure.
Although the Fort Worth and Denver Railroad bypassed Running Water in 1928, it remained a thriving village for several years. In 1935 the post office moved to Edmondson Switch on the railroad and many residents relocated
Erected 1978 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4393.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 34° 16.523′ N, 101° 53.013′ W. Marker is in Edmonson, Texas, in Hale County. Marker is on TX-194 N. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Edmonson TX 79032, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Halfway (approx. 7.2 miles away); Kress Cemetery (approx. 9 miles away); Liberty Community and Finney Switch (approx. 9.9 miles away); United Methodist Church of Kress (approx. 10.1 miles away); Gates Hall (approx. 10.9 miles away); Dr. James Henry Wayland (approx. 10.9 miles away); Wayland Heritage Plaza (approx. 10.9 miles away); Seth Ward College (approx. 11˝ miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on April 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 28, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 68 times since then and 19 times this year. Last updated on April 13, 2021, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 28, 2020, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.