Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Trenton in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

First Trenton High School

 
 
First Trenton High School Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, April 13, 2021
1. First Trenton High School Marker
Inscription.  An election held November 17, 1899, resolved a controversy concerning the need for a new schoolhouse in Trenton. The opposition probably would have won, but the women of Trenton voted solidly in favor of the school. A lawsuit concerning the site was settled in favor of the board, and the school was built at the cost of $21,320.57. It consisted of five assembly rooms, two recitation rooms, a library, a laboratory, and playrooms. The school opened Sept. 9, 1900, with established monthly salaries for the Principal/Superintendent ($70.00), grammar level teachers ($33.00), and primary level instructors ($30.00). This school allowed the first students to graduate from Trenton's earliest Kindergarten through 12th grade system in 1903. Prior to that time, many students had to attend 11th and 12th grade in Wyandotte, where they graduated. In 1911, a three-room addition was constructed. With a growing student population, three portable buildings (nicknamed "chicken-coops" by students) were added to the site. When the new Slocum-Truax High School opened for the 1924-25 school year, the "first" Trenton High School became a combination grade school/junior
First Trenton High School Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, April 13, 2021
2. First Trenton High School Marker
Marker with post office behind
Click or scan to see
this page online
high. The building was demolished in 1963.
 
Erected by Richard J. Kirk Memorial. (Marker Number 96-1.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical date for this entry is September 9, 1900.
 
Location. 42° 8.528′ N, 83° 10.75′ W. Marker is in Trenton, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of 3rd Street and St. Joseph Avenue, on the right when traveling south on 3rd Street. Located near the parking lot of the Trenton Post Office. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2740 3rd St, Trenton MI 48183, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wagstaff-Duddleston Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Old Burial Ground (approx. 0.3 miles away); Historical Shipyard Site (approx. 0.3 miles away); Michigan Wyandot and Monguagon / Battle of Monguagon (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Rucker-Stanton House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Times of Change (approx. 1.1 miles away); Angus Keith House (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Detroit River / Recovery (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Trenton.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 13, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 13, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=170944

Paid Advertisement
May. 14, 2021