Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Grove City in Mercer County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

History of Grove City

 
 
History of Grove City Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., April 10, 2021
1. History of Grove City Marker
Inscription.  

The sons of Valentine and Margaret, Charles and James G. "Squire" Cunningham, returned to Wolf Creek in 1834 to lay out the town of Pine Grove (some sources say 1844). On his way to Harrisburg to secure title to the town, "Squire" saw his first train, which frightened his horse.
—————————————
In 1853 W.A Young purchased a tannery (along the now Liberty Street area) from James Tidball, the husband of Elizabeth, Valentine Cunningham's only daughter. In 1855 George Washabaugh opened Union Hotel, the first in Pine Grove, on east Main Street (also known as Brooklyn Hill).

 
Erected by the Borough of Grove City and Children of James of Virginia Bell.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1834.
 
Location. 41° 9.507′ N, 80° 5.202′ W. Marker is in Grove City, Pennsylvania, in Mercer County. Marker is on Broad Street (Pennsylvania Route 208) north
History of Grove City Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., April 10, 2021
2. History of Grove City Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
of College Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 240 South Broad Street, Grove City PA 16127, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. James G. Bell (here, next to this marker); Charlie Ray (here, next to this marker); Grove City Newspaper History (a few steps from this marker); Pine Grove Golf Course (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named History of Grove City (within shouting distance of this marker); Joseph Foster (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named History of Grove City (within shouting distance of this marker); Ted Hines and Pine Instrument Company (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grove City.
 
More about this marker. Marker is on one in a series of low sandstone obelisks along South Broad Street (the downtown commercial district) with markers on three sides and a cast Borough of Grove City emblem on the fourth side (facing the street).
 
Also see . . .  The History of Grove City PA. (Submitted on April 13, 2021, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
History of Grove City Markers image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., April 10, 2021
3. History of Grove City Markers
Looking north, with the markers being on the north and south sides of the obelisk
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 13, 2021, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 13, 2021, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=170953

Paid Advertisement
May. 13, 2021