Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
W. L. Foley Building
John Kennedy (d. 1878), who had a trading post for frontiersmen and Indians in Houston as early as 1841, built the oldest part of this structure as investment property in 1860. After half of the building burned, his son-in-law, W. L. Foley (d. 1925), rebuilt the lost portion in 1889, giving old and new parts a Romanesque revival design. His architect was Eugene T. Heiner. In this building Foley tutored his nephews who founded the Foley Brothers' store.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1977
Erected 1978 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10665.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1841.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 29° 45.784′ N, 95° 21.693′ W. Marker was in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker could be reached from the intersection of Travis Street and Congress Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Houston TX 77002, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. The Kennedy Bakery (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Market Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Houston Cotton Exchange and Board of Trade (within shouting distance of this marker); Magnolia Brewery Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sweeney, Coombs & Fredericks Building (about 400 feet away); First White House of the Republic of Texas (about 700 feet away); State National Bank Building (about 700 feet away); Pillot Building (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 13, 2021, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 29 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 13, 2021, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.