McKinney in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Christian Church of McKinney
This congregation was formed on April 1, 1848, when about 20 persons gathered to worship at the home of Nancy and Joseph Bryson Wilmeth (1807-1892). After a picnic lunch, the group journeyed about two miles south of the Wilmeth cabin to the new county seat of McKinney. Desiring that the first institution in the town be a religious body, they met at the present site of the courthouse square and formally organized the First Christian Church. Members worshiped first in an unfinished barn and later in Collin County's log courthouse. Lay preachers who conducted services included Wilmeth and James Sanford Muse (1804-1878), both of whom had studied under Alexander Campbell, one of the founders of the Christian Church.
Members of this congregation erected their first church building in 1858 and shared the small frame structure with other denominations. In the tradition of the day, men sat on the side of the sanctuary and women on the other.
Despite the hardships of frontier life and the chaos of the Civil War, this fellowship grew and flourished. In 1872 the Rev. R.C. Horn became the first full-time pastor. Members erected their
Erected 1978 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1713.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is April 1, 1848.
Location. 33° 12.01′ N, 96° 38.148′ W. Marker is in McKinney, Texas, in Collin County. Marker can be reached from Redbud Boulevard north of West Hunt Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: McKinney TX 75069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Clinton and Anna Belle Thompson House (approx. half a mile away); First Presbyterian Church of McKinney (approx. 0.7 miles away); William B. Largent House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Barnes-Largent House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Site of Muse Academy (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Howell House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Fox-Caldwell House (approx. 0.9 miles away); John S. and Rachel W. Heard House (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McKinney.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 14, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 146 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 14, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.