McKinney in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Presbyterian Church of McKinney
This fellowship was the first congregation in Collin county affiliated with the Presbyterian Church in the United States, a denomination established during the Civil War. Chartered with eighteen members, it was organized by the Rev. W.K. Marshall on September 27, 1874, at the home of Dr. E.N. McAuley, a prominent McKinney physician. James P. Nenney and W.A. Gossett served as the first deacons.
The initial church building for the congregation was completed by 1876. A small frame structure with a steep roof and tall, narrow windows, it was located on the corner of Tennessee and Hunt Streets. An ornate tower housed the church bell, cast especially for the fellowship, which was donated by Z.P. Ranney and is still in use.
Due to increased membership, services were held in the county courthouse prior to the completion of a larger church building on North Kentucky Street in 1899. Constructed of brick, the sanctuary served the congregation until 1966 when a new edifice was completed at this location during the pastorate of the Rev. Sam P. Riccobene. The chapel includes stained glass windows and interior furnishings from the 1899
Erected 1980 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6155.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is September 27, 1874.
Location. 33° 12.598′ N, 96° 38.026′ W. Marker is in McKinney, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is at the intersection of West White Avenue and Redbud Boulevard, on the right when traveling west on West White Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: McKinney TX 75069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Muse Academy (approx. half a mile away); First Christian Church of McKinney (approx. 0.7 miles away); Estes House (approx. 0.8 miles away); James Calvin Rhea House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Davis House (approx. 0.9 miles away); William Clinton and Anna Belle Thompson House (approx. one mile away); Saint Peter’s Episcopal Church (approx. one mile away); John S. and Rachel W. Heard House (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McKinney.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 14, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 14, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.