McKinney in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Formed from Fannin County
Created April 3, 1846
Organized July 13, 1846
Named in honor of Collin McKinney
Signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence
Member of Congress, Republic of Texas
Member of the Texas Legislature
County seat, Buckner, 1846-1848
Erected 1936 by Texas State Highway Department. (Marker Number 947.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 3, 1846.
Location. 33° 11.852′ N, 96° 36.936′ W. Marker is in McKinney, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is on North Kentucky Street south of West Virginia Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: McKinney TX 75069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1927 Collin County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Law Office of James W. Throckmorton (within shouting distance of this marker); Collin County PrisonTexas American Bank/McKinney N. A. (about 500 feet away); Crouch-Perkins House (about 700 feet away); Heard-Craig House (about 700 feet away); 1911 McKinney Post Office (about 700 feet away); James Waller Thomas House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McKinney.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 14, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 43 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 14, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.