Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Originally developed as a sprawling excursion park by John Thomas Brady in 1890, Magnolia Park earned its name from its abundance of Magnolia trees planted in the area. Starting in 1909, the Magnolia Park Land Company redeveloped the park into two residential subdivisions, Magnolia Park (1909) and Central Park (1912), which were incorporated together in 1913 as the City of Magnolia Park. Covering two square miles, the city was bordered on the north and east by Buffalo Bayou and the Ship Channel, on the south by Brays Bayou and on the west by rail lines. Eventually, the City of Magnolia Park was annexed by the City of Houston in 1926.
While the founders of Magnolia Park were of European descent, persons of Mexican descent have dominated most of its history, making it one of Houston's first Mexican American communities. The area experienced dramatic growth in its Mexican American population as Mexican citizens left their country to escape the turmoil of the Mexican Revolution of the 1910s.
Magnolia Park's two Roman Catholic Churches, Immaculate Conception (1911) and Immaculate Heart of Mary (1925), have served its
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15705.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Hispanic Americans • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
Location. 29° 44.263′ N, 95° 17.283′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of 76th Street and Avenue J, on the left when traveling north on 76th Street. The marker is located in front of the De Zavala Community Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 907 76th Street, Houston TX 77012, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lorenzo de Zavala (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Magnolia Park City Hall and Central Fire Station (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hidalgo Park Quiosco Buffalo Bayou, Brazos & Colorado Railroad (approx. 1.3 miles away); Holy Cross Mission (approx. 1.3 miles away); Site of the Home of Mrs. Jane Harris (approx. 1.3 miles away); Old Harrisburg (approx. 1.6 miles away); a different marker also named Old Harrisburg (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 14, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 125 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 14, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.