Monroe in Monroe County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Boy Scouts in Monroe County / The Armory Opera House
In 1929, Monroe county was one of ten areas in the Midwest chosen to field-test a new Cub Scout program. During World War II, county scouts collected more than 600 tons of scrap rubber, metal and paper for the war effort. By the end of the century, more than 50,000 boys had been Scouts.
The Armory had a drill hall used by local Michigan State Troops. It also
Erected by Monroe County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations. A significant historical date for this entry is October 16, 1911.
Location. 41° 54.846′ N, 83° 23.871′ W. Marker is in Monroe, Michigan, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Street and East 2nd Street, on the left when traveling north on Washington Street. Located in front of Monroe Outreach Assembly of God Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 214 Washington St, Monroe MI 48161, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Joseph Loranger 1817 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Paul's United Methodist Church (about 300 feet away); University of Michigan 1838 (about 400 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (about 400 feet away); Doctor Eduard Dorsch (about 400 feet away); Monroe County Since 1817 (about 400 feet away); Old Whipping Post (about 500 feet away); Historical Museum (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monroe.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 15, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 31 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 15, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.