Southeast Texas Regional Airport
Originally named Jefferson County Airport, this facility has served area residents since the World War II era. Jefferson County commissioners purchased land to build the airport in 1841, and its development, which included three runways, a taxiway system and apron facilities. began the following year, with initial construction completed in early 1944. Eastern Airlines conducted the first scheduled flight in March of that year. During the war. the airport also served U.S. Marine Air Corps Dive Bomber Squadron No. 931 as a base for advanced training. Pilot trainees used floating targets in the Gulf of Mexico off Sabine Pass for gunnery and divebombing practice.
The airport has accommodated developments in air technology through enhancements of its facilities, Improvements in the 1925s and 1960s included additional land, buildings and taxiways, and installation of runway lighting and instrument landing system. In the early 1980s, when Texas International, Southwest Airlines, Air Texana and Metro Airlines all operated out of the airport, additional improvements were made including completion of a new terminal. In 1999, county commissioners
As chemical and petrochemical industries, paper and pulp manufacturing and other area businesses grew, the airport became an increasingly important transportation center. In 2005, it was the site of one of the largest civilian airlifts in U.S. history, when the U.S. military evacuated thousands of local residents with special needs during the landfall of Hurricane Rita. Today, the airport continues to play a vital economic role in southeast Texas.
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2007 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15370.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Air & Space • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 29° 57.29′ N, 94° 1.147′ W. Marker is in Taylor Landing, Texas, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Airline Drive 0.4 miles south of Jerry Ware Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: North Hwy 69, Beaumont TX 77705, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Baptist Church of Nederland (approx. 1.8 miles away); Interurban Rail Service (approx. 2 miles away); W.M."Tex" Ritter (approx. 2 miles away); City of Nederland
More about this marker. Located in a small plaza/green space at the airport terminal building
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 15, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on April 15, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. 2. submitted on April 16, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.