Near El Reno in Canadian County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
School and Chapel/Home of Ben & Moka Clark
Home of Ben & Moka Clark 1908-1914
Ben Clark, more than any other man in the history of Western Oklahoma, can be identified with the history of Fort Reno. He was one of the interpreters at the signing of the treaty at Medicine Lodge, KS in 1867. He was with Cavalry Commander George Armstrong Custer on the morning of November 27, 1868, during the ill-conceived attack on Black Kettle's Village. As post interpreter he served longer than anyone else in the history of Fort Reno. Ben married into the Cheyenne Tribe 3 times. All of his wives passed before him. His last wife, Moka (mo-kay), was 20 years younger. They married in 1880, had 12 children, and moved to the building in 1908. They rest in the Fort Reno Post Cemetery with 5 of their children.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Native Americans. A significant historical date for this entry is November 27, 1868.
Location. 35° 33.659′ N, 98° 2.062′ W. Marker is near El Reno, Oklahoma, in Canadian County. Marker is located at Historic Fort Reno site, in front Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7107 West Cheyenne Street, El Reno OK 73036, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Reno (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort Reno (within shouting distance of this marker); 1876 Officers' Quarters (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Chisholm Trail and Fort Reno (about 300 feet away); Hospital/USDA ARS Grazinglands Research Laboratory Administration Building (about 500 feet away); Commanding Officer's Quarters/BlueSTEM AgriLearning Center (about 500 feet away); Adjutant Office (about 700 feet away); Chapel (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in El Reno.
Regarding School and Chapel/Home of Ben & Moka Clark. The Historic Fort Reno site entrance is located off the intersection of old Highway 66 and Business Route 40/OK-66, on Old Highway 66. The actual site with the structures and Visitors Center is 1.5 miles north of the entrance. Please keep in mind that the gates are open for a limited time every day, and they are closed at 4:30pm.
Also see . . . Historic Fort Reno. Official website. Contains lots of history and photos. Fort Reno is a historic military post established in 1874 to protect the Cheyenne and Arapaho tribes. It would later become an agricultural research station, and a German prisoner of war camp during World War II. The site has a visitors center, a walking tour, cemetery, and holds events throughout the year. (Submitted on April 16, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 15, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 15, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.