Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near El Reno in Canadian County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
 

Chapel

 
 
Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, April 9, 2021
1. Chapel Marker
Inscription.  During World War II, an eastern portion of the Fort Reno lands served as an internment work camp for German & Italian Prisoners of War. Mostly from Gen. Rommel's Afrikakorp, captured in North Africa, over 1,300 Germans were brought to Fort Reno by rail. While imprisoned here, the German POW's were hired as laborers for local farmers, and in 1944 built this Chapel. Today the chapel is used for various activities such as weddings, a yearly German and Italian memorial service, and Ghristmas Guns.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionForts and CastlesWar, World II. A significant historical year for this entry is 1944.
 
Location. 35° 33.772′ N, 98° 2.047′ W. Marker is near El Reno, Oklahoma, in Canadian County. Marker is located at Historic Fort Reno site, in front of the chapel. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7107 West Cheyenne Street, El Reno OK 73036, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Adjutant Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Victorian (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Commanding Officer's Quarters/BlueSTEM AgriLearning Center
Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, April 9, 2021
2. Chapel Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 400 feet away); Guard House/Post Office (about 400 feet away); Fort Reno (about 500 feet away); 1876 Officers' Quarters (about 500 feet away); Fort Reno Commissary 1885 & 1886 (about 600 feet away); Hospital/USDA ARS Grazinglands Research Laboratory Administration Building (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in El Reno.
 
Regarding Chapel. The Historic Fort Reno site entrance is located off the intersection of old Highway 66 and Business Route 40/OK-66, on Old Highway 66. The actual site with the structures and Visitors Center is 1.5 miles north of the entrance. Please keep in mind that the gates are open for a limited time every day, and they are closed at 4:30pm.
 
Also see . . .  Historic Fort Reno. Official website. Contains lots of history and photos. Fort Reno is a historic military post established in 1874 to protect the Cheyenne and Arapaho tribes. It would later become an agricultural research station, and a German prisoner of war camp during World War II. The site has a visitors center, a walking tour, cemetery, and holds events throughout
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
the year. (Submitted on April 16, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 16, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 16, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=171128

Paid Advertisement
May. 14, 2021