Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near El Reno in Canadian County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
 

Adjutant Office

 
 
Adjutant Office Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, April 9, 2021
1. Adjutant Office Marker
Inscription.  This Adjutant Office you see before you today is not actually the originally which was built of wood and served as Post Headquarters & Officer Quarters for 51 years. This structure, constructed of low fired brick and faced with concrete. In 1939, the Headquarters was moved out of this building and relocated. The Adjutant Office remained the Officers' Quarters until turned over to the USDA in 1949.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureForts and Castles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1939.
 
Location. 35° 33.769′ N, 98° 2.028′ W. Marker is near El Reno, Oklahoma, in Canadian County. Marker is located at the Historic Fort Reno site. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7107 West Cheyenne Street, El Reno OK 73036, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); Victorian (within shouting distance of this marker); Commanding Officer's Quarters/BlueSTEM AgriLearning Center (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Reno (about 500 feet away); 1876 Officers' Quarters
Adjutant Office Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, April 9, 2021
2. Adjutant Office Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 500 feet away); Guard House/Post Office (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Fort Reno (about 700 feet away); Fort Reno Commissary 1885 & 1886 (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in El Reno.
 
Regarding Adjutant Office. The Historic Fort Reno site entrance is located off the intersection of old Highway 66 and Business Route 40/OK-66, on Old Highway 66. The actual site with the structures and Visitors Center is 1.5 miles north of the entrance. Please keep in mind that the gates are open for a limited time every day, and they are closed at 4:30pm.
 
Also see . . .  Historic Fort Reno. Official website. Contains lots of history and photos. Fort Reno is a historic military post established in 1874 to protect the Cheyenne and Arapaho tribes. It would later become an agricultural research station, and a German prisoner of war camp during World War II. The site has a visitors center, a walking tour, cemetery, and holds events throughout the year. (Submitted on April 16, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 16, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 16, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=171129

Paid Advertisement
May. 12, 2021