Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near El Reno in Canadian County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
 

1876 Officers' Quarters

 
 
1876 Officers' Quarters Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, April 9, 2021
1. 1876 Officers' Quarters Marker
Inscription.  This duplex, erected in 1876, served as the home of married officers and their families until Fort Reno was decommissioned in 1948. There were 3 bedrooms and a maid's room upstairs, and a parlor, front room, kitchen, and front porch on the ground level. At the turn of the 20th century, the fireplaces were moved from the center of the house to an exterior wall, and a covered back porch was added. The U.S Cavalry Association completed major interior remodeling in 2015.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureForts and Castles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
 
Location. 35° 33.689′ N, 98° 2.013′ W. Marker is near El Reno, Oklahoma, in Canadian County. Marker is located at Historic Fort Reno site. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7107 West Cheyenne Street, El Reno OK 73036, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Reno (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Fort Reno (within shouting distance of this marker); The Chisholm Trail and Fort Reno (within shouting distance of this marker); Commanding Officer's Quarters/BlueSTEM AgriLearning Center
1876 Officers' Quarters Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, April 9, 2021
2. 1876 Officers' Quarters Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); School and Chapel/Home of Ben & Moka Clark (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Adjutant Office (about 500 feet away); Chapel (about 500 feet away); Victorian (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in El Reno.
 
Regarding 1876 Officers' Quarters. The Historic Fort Reno site entrance is located off the intersection of old Highway 66 and Business Route 40/OK-66, on Old Highway 66. The actual site with the structures and Visitors Center is 1.5 miles north of the entrance. Please keep in mind that the gates are open for a limited time every day, and they are closed at 4:30pm.
 
Also see . . .  Historic Fort Reno. Official website. Contains lots of history and photos. Fort Reno is a historic military post established in 1874 to protect the Cheyenne and Arapaho tribes. It would later become an agricultural research station, and a German prisoner of war camp during World War II. The site has a visitors center, a walking tour, cemetery, and holds events throughout the year. (Submitted on April 16, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.)
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 16, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 16, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=171132

Paid Advertisement
May. 17, 2021