Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newport in Monroe County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

St. Charles Church

1882

 
 
St. Charles Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, April 16, 2021
1. St. Charles Church Marker
Inscription.  French-Canadian families settled on the banks of the "Riviere aux Cygnes" in 1816, declaring their faith by celebrating mass in their homes when visited by missionary Redemptorist Fathers.
This Swan Creek Mission became a mission of St. Francis Church, Ecorse, with a log church standing just north of this site in 1838.
1852 marked the establishment of the parish of St. Charles Borromeo here. Parishioners dedicated their wooden frame church in the spring of 1853.
Bishop Borgess, April 15, 1882, laid the cornerstone of this beautiful church designed to serve parish spiritual needs for generations to come.
 
Erected by Monroe County Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is April 15, 1882.
 
Location. 41° 59.681′ N, 83° 17.23′ W. Marker is in Newport, Michigan, in Monroe County. Marker is on North Dixie Highway south of Swan Creek Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8125 Swan Creek Rd, Newport MI 48166, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within
St. Charles Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, April 16, 2021
2. St. Charles Church Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Prohibition in Berlin Township / "A Bootleggers Paradise" (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Hull Road (approx. 1.7 miles away); Potter Cemetery / Public Act 525 of 2012 (approx. 2˝ miles away); Estral Beach Veterans Memorial (approx. 2˝ miles away); Frenchtown Township (approx. 5 miles away); Hull's Trace (approx. 5.1 miles away); Pointe Mouillee Marsh (approx. 5.4 miles away); State Police Post (approx. 5.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport.
 
Also see . . .  Saint Charles Borromeo Parish History. 1816 – A number of French-Canadian families settle in the Swan Creek Basin.
1837 – Michigan becomes a state. (Submitted on April 16, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan.) 
 
St. Charles Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, April 16, 2021
3. St. Charles Church Marker
Photo taken from north by Swan Creek Road
St. Charles Church image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, April 16, 2021
4. St. Charles Church
Photo taken from east side of North Dixie Highway
St. Charles Church image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, April 16, 2021
5. St. Charles Church
Stone work showing dedication date in Latin: April 15 in the year of our Lord 1882
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 18, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 16, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 16, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=171157

Paid Advertisement
May. 11, 2021