Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Edmond in Oklahoma County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
 

Edmond Public School 1889

First Public Schoolhouse In Oklahoma Territory

 
 
Edmond Public School 1889 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, April 8, 2021
1. Edmond Public School 1889 Marker
Inscription.  One of the first Oklahoma Official Centennial Projects was the preservation of Oklahoma Territory's first public schoolhouse, located in Edmond. It was originally built with funds raised by the Ladies School Aid Society under the leadership of Mrs. Jennie Forster. Community volunteers supplied the labor. On September 16, 1889, the first public school opened with Miss Ollie McCormick as the teacher for nineteen pupils. No fee for tuition was ever collected. Now the oldest documented building still standing in Oklahoma County, the schoolhouse also was the site for the establishment of four local protestant churches and the first recorded wedding in the county. Converted to a private residence in 1900, and the Sanders Camera Shop in 1950, the building, which has remained on original schoolyard lots, was saved and rehabilitated under the direction of the Edmond Historic Preservation Trust. It serves as a symbol of Edmond's early commitment to education and community spirit.
 
Erected 2007 by Oklahoma Historical Society & Edmond Historic Preservation Trust.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed
Edmond Public School 1889 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, April 8, 2021
2. Edmond Public School 1889 Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Oklahoma Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is September 16, 1889.
 
Location. 35° 39.168′ N, 97° 28.732′ W. Marker is in Edmond, Oklahoma, in Oklahoma County. Marker is on East 2nd Street (U.S. 77) west of South Boulevard, on the right when traveling east. Marker is in front of the schoolhouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 122 US-77, Edmond OK 73034, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Central State College (within shouting distance of this marker); Statue of Liberty Replica (within shouting distance of this marker); Classen's Grove (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stephenson Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Shannon Miller Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); National Guard Armory (approx. 0.2 miles away); Leaping Into History (approx. ¼ mile away); Edmond Station, Indian Territory (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Edmond.
 
Also see . . .  1889 Territorial Schoolhouse. From Edmond Historical Society's website. Contains history and photos. (Submitted on April 16, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 16, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 16, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=171168

Paid Advertisement
May. 14, 2021