Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Jordan Grove Missionary Baptist Church
As residents of the Fourth Ward neighborhood known as "Freedmantown" began moving to Houston's Third Ward in the 1870s, the need arose for a church to serve the spiritual needs of African Americans in the area. According to oral tradition, an itinerant preacher, the Rev. Wee W. Navigan met with several families in the summer of 1879 to establish a church in the Third Ward, which they named Jordan Grove.
Subsequent pastors included the Rev. Lorenzo Williams, who served for two years, and the Rev. Jordan R. Lofton (1858-1936), who led the congregation for 48 years. Under Lofton's leadership, Jordan Grove Missionary Baptist Church built a sanctuary in 1893-94 on the lot they had purchased at 2017 Dowling. Destroyed in the 1900 storm, that building was replaced by a twin-tower frame structure in 1910. Cornerstones from each of these buildings are incorporated into the present church edifice on Anita Street.
During the last half of the 20th century, membership grew to 1500 members; new educational and outreach programs gave Jordan Grove a strong presence in the community. Its pastors have been leaders in national denominational
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12418.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1879.
Location. 29° 44.079′ N, 95° 21.73′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of Live Oak Street and Anita Street on Live Oak Street. The marker is located on the west side of the Jordan Grove Baptist Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2603 Anita Street, Houston TX 77004, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Legacy of Emancipation Park (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Reverend David Elias Dibble (about 800 feet away); Reverend John Henry "Jack" Yates (approx. 0.2 miles away); Trinity East United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. John Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sam (Lightnin’) Hopkins (approx. ¼ mile away); Richard Allen (approx. ¼ mile away); Jerusalem Missionary Baptist Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 16, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 16, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.