Ann Arbor in Washtenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Geddesburg, with its school, post office, train depot, mills, farms and vernacular Greek Revival houses, prospered along both sides of the Huron. John Geddes (1801-1889) was a State Representative, Township Supervisor and Justice of
At the turn of the century, Ann Arbor Water and Gas Company developed a steam plant on the original Geddes grist mill site. Washtenaw Light and Power Company purchased Geddes riverfront property for a larger dam to power steam turbines. By 1913, Detroit Edison had acquired property for five hydroelectric plants along the Huron. They were known as Barton, Argo, Geddes, Superior and French Landing. To house the five plant supervisors, Detroit Edison bought three existing homes and built two more on DECO (Detroit Edison Company) Court just south of the river.
The Geddes dam was rebuilt in a major construction project, and this hydroelectric plant operated from 1918 to 1959. It is no longer extant. The noted landscape architecture firm of Frederick Law Olmsted was commissioned to design naturalistic landscapes for large tracts of the company's land. Farmland, formerly belonging to Robert Geddes, was developed for recreational use by Detroit Edison employees. Vivienne Farms was a spacious weekend vacation center for female employees.
Erected by Washtenaw County Historic Distric Commission. (Marker Number AN-52.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1832.
Location. 42° 16.224′ N, 83° 40.308′ W. Marker is in Ann Arbor, Michigan, in Washtenaw County. Marker is on Old Dixboro Road 0.1 miles south of South Dixboro Road, on the right when traveling south. Marker is at the Gallup Park Path Parking area near the Dixboro Dam. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ann Arbor MI 48105, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hoyt Garrod Post and Family History (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Parker Family & Mill (approx. 0.3 miles away); Native American Trails (approx. 0.3 miles away); Welcome to the Parker Family Mills! (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cider Mill (approx. 0.3 miles away); Grist Mill (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Gristmill (approx. 0.3 miles away); Log Cabin (approx. 0.3 miles away).
Also see . . . A History of the Huron River in Ann Arbor. Excerpt:
In the summer of 1824, Robert Fleming built a sawmill on Sec. 25 (N. of Huron River at Gettysburg).(Submitted on April 17, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan.)
Today this is just east of the intersection of Dixboro and Geddes Roads.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 18, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 17, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 17, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.