Port Arthur in Jefferson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Israel Chapel A.M.E. Church
Frederick Shepherd, who helped the Rev. Napoleon Harris establish an African Methodist Episcopal (A. M. E.) mission in nearby Sabine in 1902, founded this church at his Port Arthur home in 1903 with the Rev. Harris serving as pastor. The first sanctuary, built here in 1904 on property donated by the Port Arthur Townsite and Land Company, also housed the area's first public school for African Americans. As membership expanded successively larger sanctuaries were built. the name Israel Chapel A. M. E. Church was officially recorded in 1959. The church continues to serve the community.
Erected 1993 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10535.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 29° 52.131′ N, 93° 56.761′ W. Marker is in Port Arthur, Texas, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Texas Avenue near 10th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 948 Texas Avenue, Port Arthur TX 77640, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Paul United Methodist Church (about 500 feet away, measured Rock Island Baptist Church (about 600 feet away); The Kansas City Southern Railway in Port Arthur (approx. half a mile away); Port Arthur-Beaumont Interurban Railway (approx. 0.7 miles away); South County Office Building (approx. 0.8 miles away); Francis John (Frank) Trost (approx. 0.9 miles away); Lakeshore/Lions Park (approx. 1.3 miles away); Arthur Edward Stilwell (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Arthur.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 17, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 17, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.