Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Grove City in Mercer County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Incorporation of Grove City Borough

 
 
Incorporation of Grove City Borough Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., April 10, 2021
1. Incorporation of Grove City Borough Marker
Inscription.  

In 1882 a petition of 91 Pine Grove citizens was presented to Mercer County Court.
Thus, the community became incorporated as the Borough of Grove City on January 4, 1883.
A seal with a pine tree in the center was approved. Pine Grove Normal Academy became Grove City College in 1884.

 
Erected by the Borough of Grove City and in Honor of Adam and Jean Murawski.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. A significant historical date for this entry is January 4, 1883.
 
Location. 41° 9.612′ N, 80° 5.18′ W. Marker is in Grove City, Pennsylvania, in Mercer County. Marker is on Broad Street (Pennsylvania Route 208) north of Pine Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 144 South Broad Street, Grove City PA 16127, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Margaret Simpson Guinnip (here, next to this marker); Joden Jewelers (here, next to this marker); DeFrance Drug Store History (a few steps from this marker); Pioneer Aviator Earl Saundt's Demise
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(a few steps from this marker); Company M, 112th Infantry Regiment, in World War I (a few steps from this marker); Pine Grove Normal Academy (a few steps from this marker); Susan Eccles O'Kane (a few steps from this marker); Grove City National Boys and Girls Purebred Calf Club (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grove City.
 
More about this marker. Marker is on one in a series of low sandstone obelisks along South Broad Street (the downtown commercial district) with markers on three sides and a cast Borough of Grove City emblem on the fourth side (facing the street).
 
Also see . . .
1. Grove City Borough Official Website. (Submitted on April 18, 2021, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. History of Grove City PA. (Submitted on April 18, 2021, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Grove City College History. (Submitted on April 18, 2021, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Incorporation of Grove City Borough Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., April 10, 2021
2. Incorporation of Grove City Borough Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 18, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 18, 2021, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 85 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 18, 2021, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=171298

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 12, 2024