Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Trinity East United Methodist Church
The congregation of Trinity East United Methodist Church has served Houston's Greater Third Ward since the early 20th century. It is an offspring of Trinity United Methodist Church, the oldest black Methodist Church in Houston. In the early 1900s, many members of the historic church migrated to the Third Ward area. By 1908, a group led by member William Young organized a Sunday school that met in Cook's hall on Holman Street. The next year, the Rev. Sidney Johnson joined with the Sunday school attendees in organizing a church.
The congregation soon built a small building on Dowling at McGowen Street. Though first named Dowling Street Mission, it was widely known as Little Trinity. The 1915 hurricane destroyed the structure, and services were temporarily held in Young's house. The church rebuilt on McGowen at St. Charles Street and was renamed Calvary Mission after outgrowing its mission status, the church became Trinity East, reflecting its location east of the mother church. Trinity East was led by a number of noted pastors, including the Rev. Dr. Julius Scott, whose two tenures were marked by spiritual and financial growth.
Throughout its history, the church has been active in helping needy area residents with health care, food and utility bills. The congregation has also focused on aiding the elderly and the homeless. Today, historic Trinity East United Methodist Church continues to be a vital institution in Houston's diverse Third Ward community.
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15796.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1969.
Location. 29° 44.251′ N, 95° 21.693′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of McGowen Street and St. Charles Street, on the left when traveling west on McGowen Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2418 McGowen Street, Houston TX 77004, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. John Missionary Baptist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Grand Court Order of Calanthe of Texas (about 400 feet away); Reverend David Elias Dibble (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dr. Benjamin Jesse Covington and the Covington House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jordan Grove Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jerusalem Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Legacy of Emancipation Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Richard Allen (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 18, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 19, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.