Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tulsa in Tulsa County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
 

Expo Square

Route 66 Tulsa

 
 
Expo Square Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, April 7, 2021
1. Expo Square Marker
Inscription.  Tulsa was once known as "The Oil Capital of the World". The flow of revenue from the oil fields created great commerce for Tulsa resulting in a vibrant central business district with ornate Art Deco style buildings and numerous individual acts of philanthropy which continue to benefit Tulsa, its surrounding communities, as well as those who visit.

In 1923, Tulsa oilman J.E. Crosbie donated a 240-acre lot, one-half mile south of this intersection. The land was dedicated for public use and later became known as Expo Square.

The first major project undertaken at the site was the construction of the Pavilion in 1931, an arena with seating for several thousand spectators. The terra-cotta roof line features Art Deco ornamentation reflecting an agriculture with livestock scenes mounted on a background of flowers. With vast acreage and the new Pavilion, in 1935, the Tulsa State Fair was moved to Expo Square, it's current home.

The International Petroleum Exposition (IPE) Center, constructed in 1966, represented Tulsa's oil heritage. The structure was one of the largest clear-span buildings in the world at the time, containing
The Fabric of a Community Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, April 7, 2021
2. The Fabric of a Community Marker
Marker is next to two other markers plus one that talks about the sponsors of the plaques. The Expo Square plaque is second from the left.
Click or scan to see
this page online
more than 10 acres of space under a single roof. The 76-foot-tall Golden Driller was permanently erected in front of the IPE Center the same year and dedicated to the visionaries and workers of Tulsa's oil industry who strove in many ways to make a better life for others.
 
Erected by Vision 2025.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureArchitectureIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1923.
 
Location. 36° 8.876′ N, 95° 55.361′ W. Marker is in Tulsa, Oklahoma, in Tulsa County. Marker is at the intersection of South Yale Avenue and East 11th Street (Old U.S. 66), on the left when traveling north on South Yale Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1009 S Yale Ave, Tulsa OK 74112, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pearls Along the Route 66 Highway (here, next to this marker); The Fabric of a Community (here, next to this marker); The Golden Drumstick Restaurant (within shouting distance of this marker); White City Historic District Neighborhood (within shouting distance of this marker); The American Milkman (within shouting distance of this marker); The Era of World War II (within shouting distance of this marker); Cyrus Avery
Sponsors Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, April 7, 2021
3. Sponsors Marker
This is to the far left of the other three markers at the northwest corner of Yale and 11th Street.
(approx. 0.9 miles away); Wolf Robe Hunt's Indian Trading Post (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tulsa.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 20, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 20, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=171447

Paid Advertisement
May. 12, 2021