Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tulsa in Tulsa County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
 

White City Historic District Neighborhood

Route 66 Tulsa

 
 
White City Historic District Neighborhood Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, April 7, 2021
1. White City Historic District Neighborhood Marker
Inscription.  Northeast of this corner is one of Tulsa's early neighborhoods. Originally a Creek Indian allotment, the land was acquired by Glenn T. Braden in 1912. The former east coast Standard Oil Company leader had come to Oklahoma to develop the state's abundant supply of natural gas. His efforts, in combination with those of another entrepreneur in 1906, resulted in the creation of the Oklahoma Natural Gas Company, which remains a driving industry influence in Oklahoma today.

During World War I, Braden established the White City Jersey Dairy Farm on the site, so named because the buildings and silos were painted white. After his death in 1923, Braden's children closed the dairy, platted the land and sold lots to employees of local steel and oil field supply companies establishing the neighborhood in 1926. The neighborhood's layout and housing architecture, dominated by two architectural styles - Tudor Revival and Minimal Traditional - attracted an early type of "middle class."

The White City Historic District was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001 for the quality of significance in American history, architecture
White City Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, April 7, 2021
2. White City Historic District Marker
Marker is the right of the two plaques.
Click or scan to see
this page online
and culture.
 
Erected by Vision 2025.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1912.
 
Location. 36° 8.877′ N, 95° 55.34′ W. Marker is in Tulsa, Oklahoma, in Tulsa County. Marker is at the intersection of South Yale Avenue and East 11th Street (Old U.S. 66), on the right when traveling north on South Yale Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1009 S Yale Ave, Tulsa OK 74112, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Golden Drumstick Restaurant (here, next to this marker); The American Milkman (here, next to this marker); The Era of World War II (here, next to this marker); The Fabric of a Community (within shouting distance of this marker); Pearls Along the Route 66 Highway (within shouting distance of this marker); Expo Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Cyrus Avery (approx. 0.9 miles away); Wolf Robe Hunt's Indian Trading Post (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tulsa.
 
Also see . . .  White City on Wikipedia. The neighborhood was added to the National Register of Historic Places (#01000663) in 2001. (Submitted on April 20, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.) 
 
White City Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, April 7, 2021
3. White City Historic District Marker
Marker is next to three other markers; the "White City" one is second from the left.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 20, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 20, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=171454

Paid Advertisement
May. 15, 2021