Cleburne in Johnson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Church of the Holy Comforter
As early as 1860, the Rt. Rev. Alexander Gregg, first bishop of Texas, visited Johnson County. This parish, first in the county, was formed 1871; the Rev. Robert S. Nash was first rector. First church building in Cleburne (northeast corner, Henderson and Robinson) was completed by congregation of the Holy Comforter in 1874. Present church, built 1893 during ministry of the Rev. W. W. Patrick, has been in continuous use, and is preserved in original state.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1970
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 860.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1871.
Location. 32° 20.922′ N, 97° 23.094′ W. Marker is in Cleburne, Texas, in Johnson County. Marker is at the intersection of East Wardville Street and North Anglin Street, on the left when traveling east on East Wardville Street. This marker is located on the old entrance door of the church. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pioneer Texas Telephones (within shouting distance of this marker); Johnson County Courthouse (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); General Patrick R. Cleburne (about 700 feet away); Cleburne Town Square (about 700 feet away); Colonel Middleton T. Johnson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Yellow Jacket Stadium (approx. 1.1 miles away); First Baptist Church of Godley (approx. 10.8 miles away); Duke Cemetery (approx. 12 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cleburne.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 21, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 21, 2021, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 21, 2021, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.