Cleburne in Johnson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Yellow Jacket Stadium
In 1939, work began to replace Rhome Field, where Cleburne High played home football games for twenty years. The Works Projects Administration (WPA) provided most of the funding for the new $80,000 stadium built from concrete and rough cut Somervell County limestone. It opened in fall 1941, with ivy-covered stands, pilasters, seating for 3800, ticket windows, and dressing rooms. The stadium has hosted football games, other sports, and community events. The 1959 state co-championship team, coached by Brooks Conover, played on this field.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2010
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16542.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Sports. A significant historical year for this entry is 1939.
Location. 32° 20.526′ N, 97° 24.089′ W. Marker is in Cleburne, Texas, in Johnson County. Marker is on West Henderson east of Meadowbrook Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Colonel Middleton T. Johnson (approx. 0.9 miles away); General Patrick R. Cleburne (approx. 0.9 miles away); Cleburne Town Square (approx. 0.9 miles away); Johnson County Courthouse (approx. one mile away); Church of the Holy Comforter (approx. 1.1 miles away); Pioneer Texas Telephones (approx. 1.1 miles away); First Baptist Church of Godley (approx. 10.4 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on April 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 21, 2021, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 21, 2021, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.