Teague in Freestone County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Teague
This church traces its history to 1877, when a small Baptist congregation was organized in the village of Brewer Prairie. It became known as the First Baptist Church of Teague when the town was renamed in 1906. Located at the corner of 6th Avenue and Walnut Street since 1906, the congregation has met in several buildings on this site. The first sanctuary was replaced by a second facility in 1929. After the 1929 building was destroyed by fire, a new brick sanctuary was completed in 1948. The church has been part of Teague history for over a century.
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9874.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1877.
Location. 31° 37.732′ N, 96° 16.846′ W. Marker is in Teague, Texas, in Freestone County. Marker is at the intersection of Walnut Street and 6th Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Walnut Street. The marker is located at the main entrance to the church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 608 Walnut Street, Teague TX 75860, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are John F. Wallace House (approx. ¼ mile away); The “Boll Weevil” Railway (approx. 0.3 miles away); Town of Teague (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Dr. Emmet Headlee House (approx. half a mile away); Llewellyn Notley (approx. 1.1 miles away); William Rufus Boyd, Jr. (approx. 1.1 miles away); Captain Richard B. Haley (approx. 4 miles away); Salem Predestinarian Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Teague.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 21, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 21, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 21, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.