James Hall (1760–1837)
Solder of the Revolution / Doctor of Medicine
Soldier of the Revolution
James Hall was born on October 8, 1760, in Keene, New Hampshire. Records of the Continental Army indicate that James Hall of Keene was mustered into service about August 20, 1776. Hall served throughout the Revolutionary War as an infantry soldier of the Continental Army line. New Hampshire units participated in the important campaign of the fall of 1777 which culminated in the surrender of Burgoyne at Saratoga on October 17, 1777. Hall continued to serve with the Continental Army as it endured the winter of 1777-78 at Valley Forge. On June 28, 1778, he was in the ranks of Poor’s Brigade at the battle of Monmouth were he participated in the final advance of the day in that “hottest day of battle.” James Hall was promoted to sergeant on April 1, 1780. He served on through the war and was present at Yorktown in October, 1781, in Col Alexander Scammell’s Third New Hampshire Regiment. When the war ended, twenty=one year old James Hall was a full time fighting patriot. During the next two decades, James Hall became a doctor. At length, he decided to move
James Hall (1760–1837)
Doctor of Medicine
In 1790, Doctor James Hall, then aged thirty, settled near Cow Ford (now Jacksonville). He was the first known American physician to sustain the practice of medicine in Florida. In 1803, the first settler of Cow Ford, Robert Pritchard, died. Since his arrival in the area in about 1783, Robert Pritchard had acquired considerable land holdings. These included seven hundred acres in the Goodby’s Lake region and sixteen thousand acres on Julington Creek. Within the year of Robert Pritchard’s death, his thirty-six year old widow Eleanor (nee Plummer) married the forty-four year old Doctor James Hall. The Halls made their home in what is now called Plummer’s Cove. Here Doctor Hall sustained his practice until 1810, at the age of fifty, he was banished from east Florida by the Spanish for having participated in the “Florida-Georgia Rebellion.” On February 22, 1819, Spain ceded Florida to the United States, and in 1822, Doctor Hall returned to what had become Jacksonville. He continued his medical practice and was active in many community matters, such as testifying for neighbors and friends in claims at Spanish Land Grant hearings. James Hall died at La grange, Florida (on Plummer’s Cove) on December 25, 1837.
Topics and series. This memorial is listed in these topic lists: Patriots & Patriotism • Science & Medicine • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) series list.
Location. 30° 9.649′ N, 81° 39.561′ W. Marker is in Jacksonville, Florida, in Duval County. It is in Mandarin. Memorial is on Brady Road south of Mandarin Road, on the left when traveling south. Marker located behind the Mandarin Store Post Office. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jacksonville FL 32223, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mandarin Store and Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Harriet Beecher Stowe Home (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Church of Our Savior (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Maple Leaf (approx. 0.8 miles away); The St. Johns River (approx. 0.8 miles away); Losco Winery (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Major William Webb / Walter Jones Farmhouse (approx. 0.8 miles away); 1876 Barn (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jacksonville.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 3, 2023. It was originally submitted on April 21, 2021, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 275 times since then and 109 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 21, 2021, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.