McKinney in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of McKinney at Drexel Street
This congregation was organized in April 1882 under the direction of the Rev. A.R. Griggs. Originally known as the Second Baptist Church, the fellowship conducted early worship services under a brush arbor. Land at this site was deeded to church trustees in 1893 by T.J. Brown and James W. Throckmorton, a former Texas governor. The first sanctuary was built here the following year. Active in community service and in the ordination of ministers, the congregation has played a major role in the development of the area for over a century.
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1598.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1882.
Location. 33° 12.286′ N, 96° 36.479′ W. Marker is in McKinney, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is at the intersection of Drexel Street and Throckmorton Place, on the left when traveling west on Drexel Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: McKinney TX 75069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Elm Saloon (approx. half a mile away); 1911 McKinney Post OfficeTexas American Bank/McKinney N. A. (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old Settlers Park (approx. 0.6 miles away); Waddill-Morris Homesite (approx. 0.6 miles away); First United Methodist Church of McKinney (approx. 0.6 miles away); Heard-Craig House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Collin County (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McKinney.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 21, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 21, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.