McKinney in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Wilmeth-McKinney Homestead
Joseph Brice (J.B.) Wilmeth (b. 1807) and Nancy Ferguson (b. 1807) were married in Tennessee in 1826. They settled here on 320 acres of virgin prairie in 1846. They began to farm their land and soon built a grand two-story family home at this site. Elder J.B. Wilmeth, along with pioneer settler Collin McKinney, established Collin County's First Christian Church at Liberty in 1846. J.B. organized McKinney's First Christian Church in 1848, and early worship services were held in his home. Between 1848 and 1887 the Wilmeth home also was the site of a free school taught by J.B. and his children. J.B. served on the commission that selected the Collin County seat and later served as district clerk and county judge.
In 1850 the Wilmeths' daughter, Martha, married Daniel L. McKinney, grandson of Collin McKinney. Following the deaths of J.B. and Nancy in 1892, Martha and Daniel lived in the Wilmeth home until Daniel's death in 1906. The homestead was next occupied by Martha and Daniel's son, John Brice, and his wife, Annie (Magers), until their deaths in 1968. Materials from the original Wilmeth home were used to build a new house here
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6219.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1826.
Location. 33° 13.682′ N, 96° 36.748′ W. Marker is in McKinney, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is on North McDonald Street north of McIntyre Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: McKinney TX 75071, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. McKinney (approx. 0.2 miles away); McLarry Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); Site of Muse Academy (approx. 1.6 miles away); First Baptist Church of McKinney at Drexel Street (approx. 1.6 miles away); Estes House (approx. 1.7 miles away); James Calvin Rhea House (approx. 1.7 miles away); Ambush at McKinney (approx. 1.7 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of McKinney (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McKinney.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 21, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 21, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.