McKinney in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Founded 1845 by Collin McKinney, a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence. In Civil War, Gen. J.W. Throckmorton (later a governor of Texas) organized McKinney's Co. K, 6th Texas Cavalry, an outstanding Confederate fighting unit. Manufacturing, trade and hospital center. 1963
Erected 1963 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 6178.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1845.
Location. 33° 13.522′ N, 96° 36.771′ W. Marker is in McKinney, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is on North McDonald Street south of McIntyre Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: McKinney TX 75069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Wilmeth-McKinney Homestead (approx. 0.2 miles away); McLarry Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); Site of Muse Academy (approx. 1.4 miles away); First Baptist Church of McKinney at Drexel Street (approx. 1˝ miles away); Estes House James Calvin Rhea House (approx. 1.6 miles away); Davis House (approx. 1.6 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of McKinney (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McKinney.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 21, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 21, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.