Ann Arbor in Washtenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
A Corner Landmark on Huron and North Fourth
The Hamilton Block, later known as the Cornwell Building, was built in 1882 across from the Cook House Hotel. The first floor housed the Postal Telegraph Cable Co. in the 1890s, a bowling alley for a time, and later the Cornwell Coal Co. When Register Publishing Co. occupied space, it claimed to employ "more hands than all other printing establishments in Ann Arbor combined." Joe Parker opened a popular cafe there during Prohibition. For many years the third floor was a drill hall for Company A of the Michigan National Guard. It later housed an I.O.O.F. temple and a Greek Orthodox church. The building was torn down to make way for a gas station in 1936.
Top left image caption:
5 - The Hamilton Block from Huron and Main streets with the firehouse in the background, ca. 1910
Top upper right image caption:
Above: The Postal Telegraph Cable Co., ca. 1890
Top lower right image caption:
Below: The Cornwell Building, early 1930s
Bottom image caption:
A fire department hook-and-ladder passes the courthouse and the Hamilton Block in a parade on East Huron
Sponsored by Cornwell Pool & Patio
Photos courtesy of the Bentley Historical Library
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Entertainment • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1882.
Location. 42° 16.936′ N, 83° 44.894′ W. Marker is in Ann Arbor, Michigan, in Washtenaw County. Marker is at the intersection of East Ann Street and North Main Street, on the right when traveling east on East Ann Street. Marker is on the northwest corner of the Washtenaw County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 East Huron Street, Ann Arbor MI 48104, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Changing Face of North Fourth Avenue (here, next to this marker); A Meeting Place for Ann Arbor's Black Community (here, next to this marker); A Former Bank and Estate on Ann Street (here, next to this marker); Commerce on the "Ann Street Block" (here, next to this marker); The Streets Around Courthouse Square (here, next to this marker); Shopping on East Huron Street (here, next to this marker); Main Street in the 1890s (here, next to this marker); Centers for Communications on Courthouse Square (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ann Arbor.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 22, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 68 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 22, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.