Cincinnati in Hamilton County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Christ Church Cathedral
In 1817 twenty-two men, including future President William Henry Harrison, chartered Cincinnati's first Episcopal parish, Christ Church. In 1835 members erected a Gothic Revival-style church on this site. The neighborhood evolved as the city grew with the influx of immigrants. Parish women raised funds to teach, feed, clothe, and shelter tenement families, and alleviate suffering during floods and disease outbreaks. In 1883 the women helped establish what became Cincinnati Children's Hospital. In 1909 members opened the Late Gothic-style Parish House, a community center with kitchen, classrooms, library, auditorium, clinic, gymnasium, and bowling alley. By the parish's centennial in 1917, music had expanded beyond worship to public concerts. In 1940 the annual Boar's Head Festival of music and pageantry began. Since the 1960s, members have collaborated with local agencies to advocate for social and economic justice, a mission continuing into the 21st century.
Many church members were civic leaders and war veterans. They built soap and chemical factories, foundries, meat packing plants, riverboat, rail, and streetcar lines,
Erected 2020 by The Episcopal Society of Christ Church Cathedral Bicentennial Committee, and The Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 95-31.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1817.
Location. 39° 6.053′ N, 84° 30.467′ W. Marker is in Cincinnati, Ohio, in Hamilton County. Marker is on Sycamore Street just north of East 4th Street, on the left when travelingTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 318 E 4th St, Cincinnati OH 45202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Procter & Gamble (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Washington Powder Magazine (about 600 feet away); Stephen C. Foster (about 700 feet away); Salmon Portland Chase (about 700 feet away); Fort Washington (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Washington (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kennedy Speech (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cincinnati Reds (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cincinnati.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 23, 2021, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 23, 2021, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.