Mason in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Pink School
Opened June 27, 1854.
Serving our community for 111 Years.
Erected by Ingham County.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is June 27, 1854.
Location. 42° 34.735′ N, 84° 27.305′ W. Marker is in Mason, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker is at the intersection of West Ash Street and Kiwanis Drive, on the right when traveling east on West Ash Street. The Pink School is at the entrance to Bicentennial Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 707 W Ash St, Mason MI 48854, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Home of Lawton T. Hemans 1892-1916 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mason Depot (approx. 0.4 miles away); In Honor of All Who Have Served (approx. half a mile away); Maple Grove Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); City of Mason (approx. half a mile away); Ingham County Courthouse (approx. 0.6 miles away); John Rayner House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Roswell Everett / Roswell Everett House (approx. 8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mason.
Also see . . . Pink School History. Excerpt:
There are several stories explaining the school's pink color. One story has it that insufficient red paint was donated, so some white paint was added, making the color pink. Because of its unusual color and notoriety, it was decided to keep it painted pink.(Submitted on April 24, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 24, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 24, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.