Denton in Denton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
1927 Denton City Hall
From 1894 until October 1927, the Denton City Hall was housed in an 1877 red brick building located at the corner of Oak and Bolivar streets. The rapid growth of Denton in the early 20th century called for a newer and more spacious building. In 1927, a new city hall was designed by the prominent Fort Worth architectural firm Van Slyke and Woodruff in the Spanish Renaissance style, a very popular style in the Southwest during the twenties. Reminiscent of South Texas missions, the white brick building with ornamental stone embellishments, arched windows and tiled roof has two stories and a basement. The original plan included a belfry to hold the fire alarm bell because the fire station occupied the rear area of the building. This arrangement lasted through the 1970s until a new fire station was built near the city hall. Governor Dan Moody, Mayor B. W. McKenzie and other local and state dignitaries attended the dedication ceremony on October 8, 1927.
In 1969, city offices moved to the O'Neil Ford-designed Municipal Complex which consisted of the civic center, municipal pool, library expansion, and city hall, located in Civic Center
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2015
Erected 2015 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18096.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1927.
Location. 33° 12.984′ N, 97° 8.026′ W. Marker is in Denton, Texas, in Denton County. Marker is on North Elm Street south of McKinney Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Denton TX 76201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Denton County (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Denton County Courthouse (about 500 feet away); Edna Westbrook Trigg in Denton County (about 600 feet away); Denton County War Memorial (about 600 feet away); The City of Denton (about 600 feet away); John B. Denton (about 600 feet away); Our Confederate Soldiers (about 700 feet away); Beulah A. Harriss (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Denton.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 24, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 28 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 24, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.