Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The First Telephone Central Office in Columbus Ohio
N. C. Kingsbury Chapter No. 2, Telephone Pioneers of America placed this tablet on the 70th anniversary of the first transmission of speech by telephone on March 10, 1876
Erected 1946 by N. C. Kingsbury Chapter No. 2, Telephone Pioneers of America.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Notable Events.
Location. 39° 57.895′ N, 83° 0.035′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is on Long Street (U.S. 33), on the right when traveling east. Marker is just east of High Street intersection. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9 E Long Street, Columbus OH 43215, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Columbia Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); American Federation of Labor / United Mine Workers of America (about 800 feet away); William Green, Labor Leader / The Columbus Streetcar Strike, 1910 Charity Newsies (approx. 0.2 miles away); Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); James A. Rhodes (approx. 0.2 miles away); The State House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Intersect (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 18, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,294 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 18, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.