Gilmore Township in Greene County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Historical Village of Hero Named in Honor of Private Jesse Taylor
Co. F 7th Vol Infantry Regiment WVA
photos of John Taylor Sr-Revoluntionary War/Mary "Kiser" Taylor-Believed to Be/Pvt Jesse Taylor-Hero/Hero Post Office 1899-1917
The village of Hero was originally located on the land where this sign proudly stands. Today Hero is identified by a dot on most county maps. Even so the past has marked this spot sufficiently to give it a right to the title of historical. Within sight of Hero is the grave and almost within a stone's throw the birthplace of Jesse Taylor, the first soldier from Greene County PA. to die in action in the Civil War and in whose honor the village was named. A beautiful monument was erected at the near by village of Jollytown in 1892. At the head of the little brook called Bland's Run that gurgles through the beautiful valley facing Hero on the north is to be found the cemetery and once site of Gilmore Township's first church now known as Old Mount Tabor that was built in 1818. Also north of Hero can be found the Taylor Cemetery where Jesse's grandfather and Revolutionary
(Continued on other side)
photos of John Taylor Sr-Revoluntionary War/Mary "Kiser" Taylor-Believed
(Continued from other side)
soldier John Taylor was laid to rest, along with Jesse Taylor and brother Thomas, and brother-in-law John T. Pogue all three Civil War soldiers of Company F. 7th Regiment West Virginia Volunteers. This land was originally called "Hubely's Delight and was purchased by John Taylor Sr. in 1806. GAR Post No. 450 and Hero Road are named in Jesse's honor. In Mount Morris, PA a large monument was erected also honoring Jesse and his comrades of Co. F 7th WVA Volunteers.
For more information
Visit Cornerstone Genealogical Society & Greene County Historical Society & Museum Waynesburg, Greene County, PA
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1892.
Location. 39° 43.491′ N, 80° 20.852′ W. Marker is in Gilmore Township, Pennsylvania, in Greene County. Marker is on Hero Road, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Freeport PA 15352, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jesse Taylor (approx. 1.2 miles away); The West Warren Baptist Church (approx. 3.4 miles away in West Virginia); Veterans Memorial (approx. 4½ miles Hundred (approx. 6.6 miles away in West Virginia); Hundred World War II Veterans Memorial (approx. 6.6 miles away in West Virginia); The B&O Connection (approx. 6.6 miles away in West Virginia); Marion County / Wetzel County (approx. 6.9 miles away in West Virginia); Mason-Dixon Line (approx. 7.1 miles away in West Virginia).
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 25, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 13, 2014, by Marion Ralph Taylor of Brook Park, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,596 times since then and 182 times this year. Last updated on April 25, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. Photos: 1. submitted on January 13, 2014, by Marion Ralph Taylor of Brook Park, Ohio. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on May 17, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.