Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Parma in Jackson County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

William G. Brown House

(Brownhurst)

 
 
William G. Brown House Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, April 23, 2021
1. William G. Brown House Marker
Inscription.  
William G. Brown
House
(Brownhurst)
Constructed in 1852

 
Erected 1983 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L1041.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1852.
 
Location. 42° 19.98′ N, 84° 37.24′ W. Marker is in Parma, Michigan, in Jackson County. Marker can be reached from Brown Road 1.2 miles south of Town Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6770 Brown Rd, Parma MI 49269, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jameson Farm (approx. 3.4 miles away); Springport (MI) and Vicinity Civl War Memorial (approx. 4.9 miles away); Baldwin Park (approx. 7.9 miles away); Birthplace of "Old Rugged Cross" (approx. 8.6 miles away); Albion College (approx. 8.7 miles away); The Observatory
William G. Brown House Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, April 23, 2021
2. William G. Brown House Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 8.8 miles away); Birthplace of Famed Song (approx. 8.8 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 9 miles away).
 
More about this marker. Marker is on the porch and very difficult to see from the road.
 
Additional commentary.
1. Octagon
The William G. Brown House is significant as a rare example of an Octagon Style house in Michigan, as well as for its association with William G. Brown, who was the Parma Town Supervisor for seven years and served as a representative in the State Legislature in 1867. It was built for William G. and Lucinda Landon Brown about 1852-55 by Col. John Anderson, and was presumably based on plans from the popular architectural pattern book "A Home For All" by Orson S. Fowler. The house remained in the Brown family until 1984.
    — Submitted April 25, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 25, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 20 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 25, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=171829

Paid Advertisement
May. 14, 2021