The John T. Watson, Jr. House
Built for John T. Watson, Jr., and his wife Mary Green, this two-story brick house combines Queen Anne details, such as a prominent shingled gable, with Greek Ionic columns, large windows, some with ornamental leaded and stained glass typical of an Edwardian-era house, punctuate the evenly-laid pressed brick facade.
In 1908 Watson founded the firm Hodnett, Vas, Watson Hardware Company and later organized another, the Swain-Watson Hardware Company, a predecessor of Link-Watson.
A daughter and a son grew up at the Watsons' Sutherlin Avenue address, where the couple continued to reside until after World War II—more than four decades.
Erected by Danville Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1907.
Location. 36° 34.866′ N, 79° 23.948′ W. Marker is in Danville, Virginia. Marker is on Sutherlin Avenue just south of Magruders Alley, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 Sutherlin Ave, Danville VA 24541, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Credits. This page was last revised on April 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 26, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 20 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 26, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.