Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wauseon in Fulton County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

St. Caspar Church

 
 
St. Caspar Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By TeamOHE, August 5, 2019
1. St. Caspar Church Marker
Inscription.  The four stones imbedded in the canopy pillars are inscribed with an ancient Greek symbol: IHC - the first-three letters of Jesus' name in Greek. The stones came from our second church, on Clinton Street in Wauseon. The church no longer exists; but some remnants remain such as these four stones and this cornerstone showing that St. Caspar's Church was erected in 1895. Bishop Ignatius Horstman from the Cleveland Diocese dedicated this church on September 6, 1896, in honor of St. Caspar, but the stone was engraved mistakenly as St. Casper. It is believed Fr. Delbaere, the pastor in 1875, named St. Caspar as the patron saint of this church. Caspar along with Melchior and Balthasar were the Magi who were directed to the Christ Child in Bethlehem by the mysterious star, according to the 8th century English historian, St. Bede.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is September 6, 1896.
 
Location. 41° 33.828′ N, 84° 8.175′ W. Marker is in Wauseon, Ohio, in Fulton County. Marker is on North Shoop Avenue (Ohio Route 2/108) 0.2 miles
St. Caspar Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By TeamOHE, August 5, 2019
2. St. Caspar Church Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
south of Wagner Drive, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1205 N Shoop Ave, Wauseon OH 43567, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wabash Cannonball Trail (approx. 0.6 miles away); Haven Heights Baptist Church Cross (approx. 0.8 miles away); Soldiers Of Fulton County Civil War Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away); New York Central Railroad Depot (approx. 1.2 miles away); Jones-Read-Touvelle House (approx. 1.4 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 1˝ miles away); Nathaniel Leggett (approx. 1˝ miles away); Original Swan Creek District #8 School (approx. 2˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wauseon.
 
St. Caspar Church image. Click for full size.
By TeamOHE, January 29, 2021
3. St. Caspar Church
Cornerstone from the 1895 church building image. Click for full size.
By TeamOHE, August 5, 2019
4. Cornerstone from the 1895 church building
Cornerstone from the parish life center image. Click for full size.
By TeamOHE, January 29, 2021
5. Cornerstone from the parish life center
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 27, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 30 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 27, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=171982

Paid Advertisement
May. 14, 2021