Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Henderson in Henderson County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

Delano-Alves House

 
 
Delano-Alves House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, April 25, 2021
1. Delano-Alves House Marker
Inscription.  
This property has been
placed on the
National Register
of Historic Places

by the United States
Department of the Interior

 
Erected by United States Department of the Interior.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1853.
 
Location. 37° 49.576′ N, 87° 35.841′ W. Marker is in Henderson, Kentucky, in Henderson County. Marker can be reached from Chestnut Street west of South Adams Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 536 Chestnut Street, Henderson KY 42420, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stewart House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Nurse Mary W. Arvin (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fernwood Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Powell-Martin House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Home of Lucy Furman (approx. 0.7 miles away); The African Baptist Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); St. Paul's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); Workers Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Henderson.
 
Regarding Delano-Alves House.
Delano-Alves House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, April 25, 2021
2. Delano-Alves House Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Excerpt from the National Register of Historic Places registration form:
...Deed research and other secondary sources suggest that the house was built about 1853 for Ira Delano, a druggist in Henderson. Delano purchased the property on which the house now stands in May, 1853 from James Alves, a prominent Henderson landowner and descendent of the one of the members of the Transylvania Company, the land development company that established Henderson. The eleven acres of land originally associated with the house were purchased for $250 plus a ten acre tract owned by Delano that was deeded to Alves.

 
Also see . . .  Delano-Alves House (PDF). National Register of Historic Places registration form. (Submitted on April 27, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 27, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 22 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 27, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=172064

Paid Advertisement
May. 14, 2021