Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Henderson in Henderson County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

Stewart House

 
 
Stewart House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, April 25, 2021
1. Stewart House Marker
Inscription.  
This property
has been placed on the
National Register
of Historic Places

by the United States
Department of the Interior
December 22, 1998

 
Erected by United States Department of the Interior.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1951.
 
Location. 37° 49.673′ N, 87° 35.967′ W. Marker is in Henderson, Kentucky, in Henderson County. Marker is on South Green Street (Alternate U.S. 41), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 827 South Green Street, Henderson KY 42420, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Delano-Alves House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Nurse Mary W. Arvin (approx. half a mile away); Fernwood Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Powell-Martin House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Home of Lucy Furman (approx. 0.6 miles away); The African Baptist Church (approx. ¾ mile away); Workers Memorial
Stewart House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, April 25, 2021
2. Stewart House Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.8 miles away); Henderson County Vietnam Veterans (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Henderson.
 
Regarding Stewart House. Excerpt from the National Register of Historic Places registration form:
...The Stewart Residence embodies the distinctive characteristics of a type of construction, known as pre-fabricated, that was manufactured by the Lustron Corporation between the late-1940s and early-1950s. Using standardized parts and modular designs, this one-story, gabled-roof ranch house by the Lustron Corporation sits on a concrete slab foundation and has an exterior and interior skin of enameled steel panels bolted to a structural-steel frame (Wolfe, 1989: 56). Residential buildings were constructed using these mass-produced units in response to America's most severe housing shortage at the close of World War II. ... [The house] was the first pre-fabricated home that was constructed as part of a planned subdivision for Army officer housing in 1951. The existing driveway was designed to be a street through a subdivision of pre-fabricated government housing leading to Camp Breckinridge. Costing between $14,000 and $16,000, construction was halted after this first home was built since it
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
was considered cost-prohibitive ...

 
Also see . . .
1. Stewart Residence (PDF). National Register of Historic Places registration form. (Submitted on April 27, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.) 

2. Lustron Corporation. Ohio History Central entry on the company. (Submitted on April 27, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 27, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 23 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 27, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=172069

Paid Advertisement
May. 11, 2021