Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Waverly in Union County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

Laurelwood

 
 
Laurelwood Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, April 25, 2021
1. Laurelwood Marker
Inscription.  
has been placed on the
National Register
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
circa 1854

 
Erected by United States Department of the Interior.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1854.
 
Location. 37° 43.286′ N, 87° 50.288′ W. Marker is near Waverly, Kentucky, in Union County. Marker is on Kentucky Route 1180 0.1 miles south of GH Proctor Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Waverly KY 42462, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Vincent's Academy (approx. 1.4 miles away); Baseball Great (approx. 3.1 miles away); George Huston (approx. 4.9 miles away); Earle C. Clements (approx. 4.9 miles away); Morgan Springs (approx. 5 miles away); Lincoln Spoke Here (approx. 5.1 miles away); Union County, 1811 (approx. 5.1 miles away); Forrest Reconnoitered (approx. 5.1 miles away).
 
Regarding Laurelwood.
Laurelwood Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, April 25, 2021
2. Laurelwood Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Excerpt from the National Register of Historic Places registration form:
The Proctor, George N., House (UN-22) built circa 1854, is an elegant and well-maintained example of the grand style of residential architecture commonly constructed by wealthy farmers and slave holders of the Old South. The Greek Revival house is the centerpiece of the once self-sustaining Proctor farm. It and a summer kitchen are all that remain of the farm from the antebellum period.

 
Also see . . .  George N. Proctor House (PDF). National Register of Historic Places registration form. (Submitted on April 27, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 27, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 27, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=172078

Paid Advertisement
May. 6, 2021