Boerne in Kendall County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Ye Kendall Inn
WHY BUILD HERE?
Erastus and Sarah Reed built the central core of the hotel, which is slightly offset from the two wings, in 1859 as a hotel called the "Reed House." Its location between Fredericksburg and San Antonio made it a key stopping point particularly for cattle drivers and military men such as Robert E. Lee.
J.C. Roundtree and W.L. Wadsworth purchased and expanded the hotel in 1878. They continued the same Greek Revival style, which with its simplicity was an unusual choice when the Victorian style was so popular. As a consequence, it is one of the few surviving resort hotels in Texas with Greek Revival architecture.
"The ancient hostelry has served the weary traveler since the days of the stagecoach and covered wagon when journeying was a chore." - Boerne Star, 1976.
In 1884, James T. Clark turned the hotel into a health spa with a kitchen that could accommodate dietary regimens, a free daily stagecoach service to San Antonio, and local doctors on call. Nurses and servants could stay at a discount.
In 1960, Mrs. W. F. Grinnan purchased Ye Kendall Inn to become her home until the late 1980s. She closed it for repairs and lived in it reclusively until her death.
The Inn joined the National Historic Building Registry in 1976.
DID YOU KNOW?
Major H.C. Wayne of the U.S. Calvary staked camels on Main Plaza. The Secretary of War, Jefferson Davis, experimented with using camels for calvary. The camels had two Arabs and a Turk to oversee them and train soldiers in how to ride and care for them. Since there was no other place to put the camels, they were staked out on Main Plaza.
Boerne Hotel. 1890.
Ye Kendall Inn. 2009.
Ye Kendall Inn - The Hotel's Final Name. Postcard. 1935.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Animals • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1859.
Location. 29° 47.629′ N, 98° 44.025′ W. Marker is in Boerne, Texas, in Kendall County. Marker can be reached from West Blanco Road, 0.1 miles west of South Main Street (Business U.S. 87). The marker is located at the entrance of the Cibolo Creek Trail which goes down to the river. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 128 West Blanco Road, Boerne TX 78006, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Main Plaza (here, next to this marker); Ye Kendall Inn (within shouting distance of this marker); German Music in Boerne (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Joseph Dienger Building (about 500 feet away); Fabra Smokehouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kendall County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kendall County (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Helena's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Boerne.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 28, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 95 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 28, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.