Home Moravian Church
Home Moravian Church is an active Christian congregation. Our mission statement, "Fulfilling Christ's call to love God, live in community, and serve our neighbor," describes the role of Home Church within its community and the world. The congregation welcomes all visitors to join in worship.
Before the construction of the Home Moravian Church, the Moravians of Salem worshiped in the Second House (1767-1711) and then the Congregation Hall (1771-1800). When the growing population needed more space, Br. Frederic William Marshall was tasked with designing a new church. The plans were completed by May 1798, and the sanctuary and belfry were consecrated on November 9, 1800.
Who Are the Moravians?
Moravians trace their spiritual ancestry to Jan Hus, a Czech priest martyred in 1415. Followers of Hus's teaching formed the Unity of the Brethren. The Unity was persecuted and later all but destroyed in religious wars. In 1722, descendants of the Unity came from the Czech province of Moravia to Saxony, Germany, seeking refuge on the estate of Count Nicolaus Ludwig von Zinzendorf. There they formed a community that later became
Moravians built religious communities world-wide. Here in North Carolina, they purchased a large tract of land they named Wachovia, of which Salem is the central settlement. Today, the Moravian Church continues its work and worship in many parts of the world.
Moravians are known for distinctive worship traditions, including lovefeast. The origins of this worship service, which emphasizes Christian community, are found in the agape feasts described in the book of Acts. At Home Moravian Church, coffee and buns are served to the congregation while hymns are sung. Lovefeast often marks special occasions in the church, such as Good Friday, Christmas Eve, anniversaries, and Moravian festival days.
Another tradition is the Easter Sunrise Service, which in Salem begins at dawn on the steps of Home Moravian Church. Worshipers then process to God's Acre, the Salem Moravian Graveyard, for the conclusion of the service as the sun rises.
Erected by Home Moravian Church.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1798.
Location. 36° 5.289′ N, 80° 14.482′ W. Marker is in Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rt. Rev. Edw. Rondthaler, D.D. (a few steps from this marker); The Salem Campus (within shouting distance of this marker); Davy House (1835) (within shouting distance of this marker); Herbst Shop on Lot 33 (1829) (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Commemorating the Original Krispy Kreme Doughnut Shop (about 300 feet away); First Official 4th of July Celebration in the United States (about 400 feet away); Street Grade (about 400 feet away); Garden on the Triebel Lot (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winston-Salem.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 28, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 25 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 28, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.