Davy House (1835)
— Old Salem Museums & Gardens —
An enslaved African American named David (also known as Davy) lived in a house built here on Lot 7 in 1835. David was purchased by the Wachovia Administration in 1805, eventually becoming the servant of the Administrator, Rev. Ludwig von Schweinitz, whose headquarters were in the Vierling House by 1819. Von Schweinitz was an internationally famous botanist and relied on Davy's skills, remarking in 1821: "Without his help it would be impossible to cultivate the extensive garden and the yard" here.
In 1824 when David was 44 years old and married to Rose, he was baptized in the African Church in Salem and given the name Brother Christian David. An early leader in the church, he was appointed as Saal Diener, or sexton, and assisted the white pastor and also served as a spokesman and spiritual advisor for the African congregation.
In 1835, the Wachovia Administrator Rev. Theodor Schulz built Davy a small house in the yard. It was a one-room, timber frame building with brick nogging covered by weatherboards and capped by a wood shingle roof. At some point, Davy's House was attached by a breezeway to a smokehouse near the barn.
Erected by Old Salem Museums & Gardens.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Anthropology & Archaeology • Churches & Religion • Horticulture & Forestry. A significant historical year for this entry is 1835.
Location. 36° 5.323′ N, 80° 14.467′ W. Marker is in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, in Forsyth County. Marker is on South Church Street south of East Bank Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 513 S Church St, Winston Salem NC 27101, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rt. Rev. Edw. Rondthaler, D.D. (within shouting distance of this marker); Home Moravian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Herbst Shop on Lot 33 (1829) (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Salem Campus (about 400 feet away); Second House Site (1767) (about 400 feet away); Commemorating the Original Krispy Kreme Doughnut Shop (about 500 feet away); Pottery Kilns on Lot 38 (about 600 feet away); First Official 4th of July Celebration in the United States (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winston-Salem.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 28, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 25 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 28, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.