Dupont Circle in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The National Register
of Historic Places
as a National Landmark for its
architectural and cultural contributions
to the District of Columbia
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture.
Location. 38° 54.767′ N, 77° 2.682′ W. Marker is in Dupont Circle in Washington, District of Columbia. Marker is on 20th Street Northwest north of R Street Northwest, on the right when traveling north. Very near the intersection of R Street and Connecticut Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1701 20th Street Northwest, Washington DC 20009, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Connecticut Ave. from Lafayette Square to Ashmead Place (a few steps from this marker); Blanche K. Bruce and Josephine Beall Willson Bruce Residence (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); From 1890 to 1910 (about 600 feet away); 2019 Q Street NW (about 600 feet away); Excerpt from Walt Whitman's "The Dresser" (1865 version) and "We Embrace" by E. Ethelbert MillerCarl Lutz (about 700 feet away); Hungarian Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lajos (Louis) Kossuth (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dupont Circle.
Regarding Fraser Mansion. Although this Beaux Arts house is rumored to have been built for "Thomas Alexander Scott, Assistant Secretary of War under President Abraham Lincoln, president of the Pennsylvania Railroad, and a major figure in the politics of the Reconstruction era", it was actually built by Joseph C. Hornblower and James Rush Marshall for New York merchant George S. Fraser in 1890. It was purchased in 1901 by Scott's daughter, Miriam Scott Thropp. By 1932 it was a tearoom; by 1950 it was a restaurant. It has been the Golden Parrot Restaurant and Cocktail lounge, The Golden Booeymonger, Fourways Restaurant. Fourways restored the building to its exact original specifications and condition. Now it serves as the Church of Scientology National Affairs Office.
Also see . . . Church of Scientology Opens National Office in D.C. Landmark. Scientology, September 12, 2012. (Submitted on November 19, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 30, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 19, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 693 times since then and 11 times this year. Last updated on April 29, 2021, by Larry Tunison of Oberlin, Ohio. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on November 19, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.