Old Courthouse Bell
This bell rang from the bell tower of the magnificent courthouse that graced this site for seventy-nine years before the present structure was built in 1976. The former courthouse was built in 1897 by Judge John S.R. Cowan of Hughes at a cost of $26,700 with no increase in taxes or bonds. Its fireproof vaults ended the destruction by fire the county's records that had occurred three times before.
The bell is mounted on the courthouse lawn in memory of St. Francis County armed services veterans by the ladies of American Legion Auxiliary and County Judge Carl Cisco.
Topics and series. This memorial is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Government & Politics • Military • Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Historic Bells 🔔 series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1976.
Location. 35° 0.473′ N, 90° 46.99′ W. Marker is in Forrest City, Arkansas, in St. Francis County. Memorial is on South Izard Street south of Court Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Veterans Memorial (here, next to this marker); Forrest’s Camp (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Madison in the Civil War (approx. 3 miles away); The Trail of Tears along the Memphis to Little Rock Road (approx. 10.6 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on May 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 29, 2021, by Thomas Smith of Waterloo, Ill. This page has been viewed 31 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 29, 2021, by Thomas Smith of Waterloo, Ill. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.